Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow, Systems Agronomist
The primary responsibilities will include:
• Oversee and develop R4D plan and implement crop and soil management strategies with partners and farmers and also ensure effective implementation of activities.
• Promote integrated soil fertility management by means of innovative extension approaches such as FFS that would facilitate wider adoption and empower farmers.
• Contribute in research and technical capacity building via the introduction of new germplasm of cassava, banana and beans and evaluation of its acceptability from production to organoleptic characteristics.
• Establish multiplication plots for cassava and mother gardens for banana; followed by training of project partners and farmers in the selection and multiplication of clean planting materials.
• In collaboration with NARS and other project partners, set up demonstration trials, and contribute technical content to the dissemination approaches and strategies to promote their technologies around ISFM, NRM/climate smart agriculture and IPM for banana, cassava and bean cropping systems via FFS. Other duties
• Enhance strategic partnership for effective collaboration between research and development partners including the public and private sectors.
• Support capacity building efforts through 1) backstopping of IITA staff and students and 2) organizing training workshops.
• Keep record on progress of the implementation of activities and achievements and update staff and partners on a quarterly basis on the progress achieved towards the set targets.
• Help develop and produce research outputs in the form of 1) technical reports, 2) scientific publications and 3) training materials.
• Develop training plan, implement and monitor project activities and prepare technical project reports.
• Motivate and involve farming community members in sustainable farming system, eco-friendly fertilizer use, integrated pest and crop management (IPCM) and soil fertility management through training.
• Ensure quality implementation through provision of technical support to project partners, field staff as well as farmers.
• Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Qualification & Experience:
The candidate should have a PhD in a relevant field in agricultural sciences.
Skills & abilities:
• At least 3 years of experience in integrated crop and soil management with increasing responsibilities.
• Good knowledge of fertilizer use and Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) in the context of agricultural research and development.
• Good knowledge on participatory variety selection (PVS) and Integrated Crop and Pests Management (ICPM) strategies.
• Good understanding of databases with computing skills in managing data and statistical analyses.
• Ability to synthesize information into easily understood and actionable recommendations for partners and farmers.
• Fluency in English as well as in French with written and oral communication skills.
• Good working knowledge of the MS Office suite of programs specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Successful track record of coordinating teams in a cross cultural and multi disciplinary environment. Duty station: IITA Bujumbura, Burundi.
Terms & Conditions : Initial appointment is for two years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Apply to this job