RTI International is seeking an In-Country Project Director for a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-funded project to improve public health preparedness and response in Nigeria. The goal of this 5-year project is to strengthen the existing public health infrastructure to rapidly and effectively respond to disease outbreaks, health threats, and public health emergencies of international concern (PHEICs). The In-Country Project Director is responsible for overall leadership and management of the project's performance, providing technical direction to the entire program, and representing RTI to in-country stakeholders.
The Project Director will also maintain collaborative relationships with in-country stakeholders (e.g., CDC-Nigeria, the Government of Nigeria agencies including Nigeria Centers for Disease Control (NCDC) and Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), strategic partners at the national, regional, and local level) and secure the necessary resources (technical, financial, logistical, and human) to support the project. This is a full-time position based in Abuja, Nigeria. It will require in-country travel to high-priority areas identified by the CDC. This is a one-year term position with the potential to be renewed each year.
- Serves as RTI’s key liaison to CDC-Nigeria, Government of Nigeria/Ministry of Health, WHO, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other partners at the national, regional, and local level;
- Provides significant leadership and guidance to in-country project staff;
- Proactively determines the feasibility of project scope and activities and develops plans for upcoming years;
- Oversees project engagement activities including hiring staff, and identifying strategic partners and stakeholders;
- Provides technical and contextual guidance for developing culturally-appropriate and sustainable implementation strategies to strengthen surveillance systems and build workforce capacity;
- Manages local staff and resources to ensure project activities/deliverables are on-time, on-budget and on-target for accomplishing short and long-term project goals;
- Seeks solutions for issues that may affect the project timeline, costs or quality of deliverables;
- Promptly reports unexpected delays, costs, or quality issues to RTI HQ Project Director;
- Routinely communicates with US based project staff;
- Contributes to monthly and annual report preparation;
- Assists in the development of an exit strategy that ensures the sustainability of capacity building initiatives of the project;