Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GF LGA Cluster Supervisor
Length of contract: 1 year
Role type: National
Travel Involved: 40% within the State
Child Safeguarding Level: 3
Reporting to: Zonal Programmes Manager
Direct Reports: LGA Field Officer
Country and Project Background
The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 projects
It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Malaria Consortium has recently received funding to implement SMC in three West African countries including Nigeria. In Nigeria, malaria consortium has decided to use the fund to continue SMC implementation in the 4 states it has been supporting since 2013 with UNITAID (Sokoto and Zamfara), DFID (Katsina and Jigawa) and BMSMC (Katsina) funds.
Under this new funding and any anticipated additional funding, all Malaria Consortium SMC activities in county will be consolidated into a single project and managed by Senior Project Manager who will report to the Country Programme Manager.
- The Cluster Supervisor will support the micro-planning and implementation of project activities at LGA level, with health facilities and communities at LGA level in the supported States (Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Sokoto and Yobe) in Nigeria
- S/He will support the planning and coordinating activities such as training, supervision, reporting of activities, as well as the relationship and communication
- with key actors at LGA level, under the supervision of the Malaria Consortium SMC LGA Coordinator.
- The post is based at state level, with frequent travel to the LGA/Health Facilities and communities
- line managing the activities of the field officer(s).
Scope of Work:
The position holder will support the micro-planning and coordination of activities at LGA level, including maintaining close communication, participate in key activities such as planning, training and supervision of SMC as well as the reporting of data to the Zonal Programme manager.
Key Working Relationships:
- The Cluster Supervisor is line managed by the Zonal Programme Manager, who maintains most ongoing communication and planning for the position holder
- The position in addition line manages the LGA field officers
- S/he also maintains relationships with the country office departments, including finance and logistics
- Key external relationships are with staff at the state Malaria Control Programme and with LGA health staff.
LGAs activities (60%):
- Support the coordination of SMC activities in the supported LGAs by Malaria Consortium
- Assist the LGAs and health facilities in planning for SMC activities
- Supervise the activities of the field officers in the varying LGAs managed by MC
- Assist in SMC administration, training and supervision at LGA level
- Assist in the elaboration of a work plan for SMC which is consistent with budget and microplans
- Identify and participate in meetings on coordination with actors engaged in various activities
- in health LGAs covered by Malaria Consortium
- Identify and participate in meetings at LGA level focused on malaria and community level activities
- Participate in meetings and trainings organized by other partners in the relevant LGAs.
- Assist the Malaria Consortium SMC LGA Coordinator in the coordination of plans and communication between LGA health authorities and Malaria Consortium on progress and challenges
- Assist in quantification on needs for SBCC materials and inputs for SMC delivery
- Track and report on progress against the work plan
Distribution of SP+AQ and SMC delivery (20%):
- Assist in the planning and quantification of materials required for SMC delivery and quantification for SP+AQ and distribution of SP+AQ to ensure no stock-outs at any level or time during SMC campaign in his/her supported LGAs
- Participate and report on SMC activities at LGAs level on the consumption of materials for SMC delivery (cards, tally sheets) and SP+AQ to ensure smooth delivery
- Support and ensure proper supervision of the CHWs and health facility staff/in charge.
Reporting and documentation (20%):
- Ensure that data are collected and transmitted from health facilities to LGAs and to the Malaria Consortium M&E Officer and the Zonal Programme Manager
- Ensure that the State Coordinator have received in good time information regarding LGAs activities and potential risks or situations that could impact on SMC activities, also indirectly, specifically related to communication, training, supervision
- Provide on time drugs reconciliation report at the end of each round of SMC distribution for his/her supported LGAs
- Undertake all other tasks as necessary and instructed by the supervisor.