Promasidor was founded in 1979 by Robert Rose, who left the United Kingdom in 1957 for Zimbabwe to pursue his African dream. As Chairman of Allied Lyons Africa for over 20 years, he travelled extensively across Africa and gained a unique and thorough knowledge of the food industry throughout the continent. In particular he noticed a lack of availability of the one highly nutritious product that the developed world takes for granted - milk. He realised that with technology in the manufacture of milk powders advancing rapidly, there was an exciting opportunity to provide milk powder in small portions that could be packaged in flexible sachets. It was found that removing the animal fat from the milk and replacing it with vegetable fat allowed for a longer shelf life. This meant that for the first time, milk powder could be distributed across the vast African continent, providing access to affordable milk to everyone in Africa. A passionate belief in this vision fuelled the pioneering concept of selling filled milk powder in small sachets and Promasidor began selling the Cowbell brand in the Democratic Republic of Congo (then Zaire) in 1979. Today Cowbell is sold in the majority of countries across the African continent.
Job Title: General Manager
- The Ikun Dairy Farm general manager is responsible for the financial and physical performance of the farm and as such must be highly skilled in all aspects of the farm business.
- In this role, the incumbent will be responsible for implementing the short and long-term business plans, drive the business and work with the team to ensure success. The incumbent will also be required to optimize the farm performance.
- Work with the Board and committee of management to develop & implement the 5-year Business Plan and annual budget.
- Develop policies, procedures and operational documents to ensure the smooth operations of the farm.
- Monitor seasonal expenditure in line with the budgeted cash flow.
- Liaise with key stakeholders including farm manager, veterinary nurse, community and contractors to ensure smooth operation of the farm.
- Develop, review and manage repairs and maintenance schedule for all plant, machinery and infrastructure
- Provide periodical reports on farm activities.
- Ensure all relevant company policies are understood and adhered to.
- Ensure company products are presented for sale in line with company policy regarding, quality, quantity and timeliness of delivery and are marketed in accordance with the company marketing policies.
- Recruit and select staff.
- Supervise day-to-day activity, organize rosters and schedule tasks/activities that need to be undertaken.
- Provide training/coaching to staff to enable them to competently carry out tasks required of them on farm.
- Conduct an annual review of staff performance (at least once a year for all on-farm staff)
- Maintain employment records.
- Ensure that health and safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to
- Review, implement and improved health and safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure new staff are inducted and aware of company policies and are given role clarity.
- Manage the farm within consent conditions and ensure bio-security is implemented.
- Work within best practice environmental guidelines.
- Ensure any development work is undertaken with appropriate regulatory consents.
- Develop, review and implement animal health programme to maintain good health.
- Develop and manage the breeding programme to ensure calving rate targets are achieved.
- Develop milking plan and ensure milk production targets are met in a sustainable manner
- Ensure agreed stock policy is adhered to.
- Ensure all herd/flock records are maintained.
- Adhere to all relevant animal welfare policies.
- Feed Production Management
- Develop, review and implement arable farm plan and ensure crop and cultivation targets are met
- Plan and allocate feed using feed budgeting techniques to achieve production targets.
- Source required supplements to achieve production targets.
- Develop and implement an annual nutrient management plan in conjunction with the fertilizer.
- Supplier’s representative.
- Develop and implement cropping and regressing programme.
- Manage weeds and pests to maintain pasture and crops.