Job Title: Research Officer (Qualitative)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department: BBC Media Action
Employer: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
BBC Media Action is looking for interested/motivated and dynamic candidates Researchers with strong quantitative research skills, and an understanding of how researh informs programming to join the Team as:
Research Officer (Qualitative) on a salary of N250,000.00 gross per month
The position is Abuja based but may involve travelling to the focal states in Nigeria. The projected start date is June 2014 and a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with posibility of renewal.
To assist the Head of Research & Learning, working closely with Senior Research Officers and other senior staff members in the effective, timely and efficient implementation of qualitative research for BBC Media Action’s projects in Nigeria
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in the effective design, co-ordination and delivery of research for all mass media campaigns across a range of different thematic areas, comprising of formative research (e.g. literature reviews and focus group discussions), process research (e.g. pre-testing of outputs) and impact evaluation;
• Assist in facilitating, monitoring including negotiations on technical matters with BBC Media Action staff and external agencies, working to budget and deadline requirements;
• Undertake the conduct of research sampling, preparation of discussion guides, and design of questionnaires.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
CORE TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
• Strong qualitative research skills (research design, literature reviews, moderating, analysis and interpretation of data etc).
• Moderate quantitative research skills (sampling and survey design, data management and analysis using SPSS, questionnaire design etc; Good communication skills, and the ability to clearly communicate the findings of our research and what these insights mean for the users of our data; Knowledge and understanding of the importance of ethical procedures in research; Experience of writing precise and clear reports and briefing documents; and Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE (DESIRABLE):
• Ability to work in a team and in a multicultural environment; Result oriented and commitment to excellence;
• Ability to multitask and deliver promptly. Ability to speak and write Hausa is a key requirement.
A good first degree in the Social Sciences, Health Sciences, Behavioural sciences, or the Humanities or any other relevant field; Strong research experience in qualitative research.
Apply to this job