Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow – Gender Research Assistant
Employer: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Description: Postdoctoral Fellow (Social Scientist as Gender Research Assistant)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Fellow (Social Scientist as Gender Research Assistant. IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks a suitable candidate for the Humidtropics flagship projects in East Africa. The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi and work closely with the IITA and Humidtropics Gender specialists and Flagship project coordinators.
The Postdoctoral Fellow gender research assistant in the position of Postdoctoral Fellow works closely with the Humidtropics gender specialist and the flagship coordinators and Humidtropics partners to execute the following responsibilities:
• Lead mainstreaming of gender across the program and integrate gender into all stages of project activities, including assisting incorporation of gender differentiated indicators into the monitoring and evaluation plans.
• Participate and assist in identification and development of gender innovative approaches, qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods.
• Collect gender disaggregated data through literature surveys, participatory field studies and formal household surveys in order to improve the development of typologies that reflect household structures, intra household gender relations and norms.
• Enhance technical capabilities of partners and collaborators to use advanced tools and methods for gender research through training and collaborations.
• Conduct comparative case studies in order to understand commonalities among gender norms and role of agency embedded in diverse cultures, languages, customs, beliefs and values.
• Work closely with the Humidtropics and IITA gender experts to identify gender transformative approaches in Humidtropics research and innovation systems.
Minimum Qualification & Experience: The candidate should have a PhD or MA as a minimum qualification in Social Anthropology, Rural Sociology, Agricultural Economics or related discipline plus proof of research experience in gender related topics.
Skills & abilities:
• Experience in the application of qualitative methods and an interest in research about topics related to the role of women in agricultural development.
• Demonstrated the ability to work independently.
• Training in qualitative research techniques and interview analysis is a must; knowledge of analytical software and statistical programs is desirable.
• Familiarity with results based management Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya or Ibadan, Nigeria
Terms & Conditions: General information: Initial appointment is for 2 years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Apply to this job